sábado, 28 de agosto de 2010

Back to School




I feel fortunate to have this great opportunity to work at Colegio Bolivar. When I accepted the job I knew that I was getting into something great, but little did I know that my expectations would be surpassed more than I ever. The director and staff have done an incredible job to welcome us and get us settled into life in Colombia. The wining and dining in Miami probably helped to butter us up a bit! Even when we arrived they went above and beyond to make sure that we are comfortable and getting settled. We even ended the week with lunch and a juice workshop at the director’s house. Juice workshop? What could you possibly learn there? Well, Colombia is blessed with many different kinds of fruit, and they still take the time to make fresh juice every day. No bottled, fake juice with added colors and preservatives. Fresh from the fruit to your glass daily. They sure were delicious!

The Elementary P.E. court and playground


The cafeteria, where the food is EXCELLENT!


The basketball courts and the pool


The first time I stepped on to the campus all I could think was “how will I ever be able to leave this place?” The care and maintenance that you see around campus just shows how much they really care about education, the students, and the faculty. It is what every school community should strive to be. The many buildings are surrounded by lush green plants and trees, and far off in the distance you can see the Andes hovering around us. During our tour, we began with “El nido” where they begin education from birth, and we moved on through the preprimary. Just by walking through the buildings you could get a sense of the educational philosophy, and how it is highly valued from the beginning of life. Then we got to the best part… my classroom! As I stepped foot into the classroom, I could hear and see my students spread all around the classroom working. There is more space and storage than I could ever imagine. There is even a bathroom and sink in the classroom… no more bathroom breaks! The best part about the classroom is how the back wall above the counter is completely opened to the outside. I’m sure the fresh air will help stir their imaginations (mine included).


I can see that the staff who has been working at Colegio Bolivar is genuinely happy to be there and take pride in the school. It is very refreshing and makes me believe that the expectations I have set for the school based on the first impressions will be lived up to…

No hay comentarios: