martes, 10 de agosto de 2010

Bienvenido a Cali

A little over a week ago I began my Colombian Adventure. The adventure began with a short trip to Miami to get acquainted with the other new teachers, the director and his family, and Olga, the director’s wonderful assistant. In Miami we were wined and dined at Pf Changs and an amazing Tapas dinner and flamenco show. After a few nights of fun and a short time on the beach, we headed off to Cali.



We made it!!!

The week after arrival to Cali was filled with activities to get us settled into our new lives. We went apartment hunting, spent a nice morning at the government office, got a tour of the school, did lots of shopping to prepare our apartments, and luckily spent a few nights in the Jacuzzi at the Radisson. During that week of being carted around on one of the school’s buses, the city really impressed me. It reminded me of Mexico, but nicer. You all know how I love Mexico! The city is really clean, well developed, and the people are friendly. It is in the Valle of Cauca, so we even have some breathtaking Andes Mountain scenery.





On Friday evening, we finally moved into our apartments. I moved into an apartment in the neighborhood San Fernando Viejo with another new teacher, Mike. We picked an old apartment with lots of character that I fell in love with the minute I walked in. The front door to the apartment opens to a large curved staircase that leads you to an open living room and kitchen area. The back of the kitchen is open air with beautiful rod iron that lets in natural light and an amazing breeze. In the apartment we have three bedrooms, three bathrooms, and a maid’s room with yet another bathroom. So we have plenty of room for visitors! And too much space to decorate, worse yet clean (we may have to get a maid for that. Life is rough in Cali!). My master bedroom is AMAZING! I have never had a space of my own like it. My closet/ bathroom area is bigger than my bedroom growing up. I also have a balcony area that looks onto the street. The evening San Fernando breeze that blows through my balcony on a warm Cali day is just delicioso!
Probably the best thing about our apartment is the neighborhood. It reminds me of Chicago’s smaller neighborhoods that are city like but still laid back and inviting. We are right off the “Parque de perros”. It is a little park area surrounded by restaurants, bars, and shops. The neighborhood has been dubbed the “newest hot spot” in town by Lonely Planet. Let me tell you, the beautiful street view balcony I have in my bedroom really made me understand how happening the area is during my first night of sleep. But I can’t complain because the apartment is incredible. The building is actually named Palace, which is quite fitting. Probably the only Palace I will ever live in!

My bedroom, closet and bathroom, blacony and view from the baclcony.



Pictures of San Fernando Viejo (my neighborhood) and the school campus coming soon!

1 comentario:

Sam Heather dijo...

Me gusta!! Great pictures! I miss those jacuzzi nights and running back in the rain with wine, bread, cheese, and those jelly grape things!